Tip of the Week
Last week saw the conviction of the Owner and the Manager of The Royal Spice Takeaway in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire. Both the Owner and the Manager were found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence following the death of a teenager in 2016 and last week they both received a prison sentence.
Megan and her friend ordered a takeaway online via Just Eat in December 2016. In the comments box on the order form, Megan’s friend wrote the words “prawns” “nuts”. Megan was very allergic to nuts. After eating her takeaway, Megan suffered an asthma attack and died the next day having suffered irreversible brain damage.
The food Megan had eaten was found to contain a widespread presence of peanut protein.
Upon further investigation it was found that the takeaway had no up-to-date food safety system or procedure to manage allergens. The law required them to take reasonable steps to ensure customer safety and provide food that would not be harmful to the health of its customers, which they failed to discharge.
It is the duty of the Caterer to ensure safe management of allergens within their kitchen. It is a requirement to ensure that allergen information is up-to-date and accurate. It is also a requirement to have procedures in place to reduce the risk of cross contamination within the kitchen.
Ensure your staff are aware and trained in managing allergens, and ensure all allergen information you provide is accurate.
Weekly Food Fact
Food Standards Agency Allergen Facts
- 4,500 UK hospital admissions a year from food allergy
- 10 food allergy deaths per year
- 1 in 4 people surveyed said they or a relative had suffered a reaction eating out
- 8% of children affected by food allergies or intolerances
- 2% of adults affected by food allergies or intolerances
Get, and keep, a Level 5 Food Hygiene Rating on Your Door!
Grab a copy of our FREE guide “5 Top Tips to achieve a level 5 Food Hygiene Rating” plus receive our latest food safety tips, alerts and weekly food facts directly to your inbox.