Tip of the Week
When preparing and serving raw or semi-raw fish, there are additional hazards so make sure you have your due diligence procedures in place.
- Only use fish labelled as sushi grade for any raw or semi raw fish dishes.
- Keep the producers label details for each batch of sushi grade fish (attach or note on your delivery schedule)
- Fresh fish deliveries should be delivered at less than 4°C (ideally less than 2°C)
- Place under refrigeration immediately after delivery
- Keep raw fish under refrigeration at less than 4°C (ideally less than 2°C)
- Ensure no risk of cross contamination – wash hands before and after handling raw fish, use a clean knife and a blue chopping board
- Prepare quickly to minimize the time the fish is out of refrigerated temperature control
Have a written HACCP procedure as part of your due diligence (speak to Julie at Food Safety Guru if you need a procedure for sushi, sashimi, smoking, curing or serving carpaccio).
Weekly Food Fact
Did you know that the most expensive tuna fish in the world was purchased in 2019 by a Japanese sushi tycoon for £2.5m. The bluefin tuna weighed 612lbs.
Keep a Level 5 Food Hygiene Rating on Your Door!
Grab a copy of our FREE guide "5 Top Tips to keep a Level 5 Food Hygiene Rating on your door" plus receive our latest food safety tips, alerts and weekly food facts directly to your inbox.